DESIGN

FABER%2DCASTELL

FABER-CASTELL
FABER-CASTELL
GERMANY

View Artist's Products
The 1st Generation-establishment of the business by Kaspar Faber (1730-1784)

1761-1784
At the beginning, there was the pencil. In Stein, near Nuremberg, the cabinet-maker Kaspar Faber commences production of his first pencils, and sells them at the Nuremberg market. The founding of FABER-CASTELL thus occurred long before the French Revolution and the forming of the United States of America.

The 2nd Generation- Anton Wilhelm Faber (1758-1810)

1784-1810
Named after Kaspar's son Anton Wilhelm, the 2nd generation business name is “A.W.Faber”.
Anton Wilhelm expands the small craftsman's workshop. He acquires additional real estate, enlarges the pencil production and the company grows.

The 3rd Generation- Georg Leonhard Faber (1788-1839)

1810-1839
Georg Leonhard Faber leads the pencil business through difficult political and economic times, however, he is unable to avert a strong decline in production and the resultant threat to the company's viability.

The 4th Generation- Lothar von Faber (1817-1896)

1839-1896
Following the death of his father Georg Leonhard in 1839, Lothar von Faber takes over the Stein pencil factory. Having gained valuable experience in companies producing writing instruments in Paris and London, the 22 year old completely overhauls and repositions the paternal business. Driven by strong vision and an iron will, he moves the business forward. His stated goal: “...to rise to premier position by making the best products in the world...” Beginning of the Lothar von Faber era (4th family generation)
He produces the hexagonal pencil, develops the first German quality pencils and marks them with the “A.W. Faber” name – the first brand name pencil in the world is born.

1843
“A.W. Faber” pencils are sold for the first time in America through a New York agency.

1849
The first foreign branch of the flourishing company is founded in New York. Subsidiaries in London (1851) and Paris (1855) as well as agencies in Vienna (1872) and St. Petersburg (1874) follow.

1851
Lothar Faber establishes a “standard” for pencils which points the way ahead for the pencil industry.

1861
The Geroldsgruen branch factory in Upper Franconia is opened on the occasion of the 100th anniversary in 1861. Originally set up as a slate board factory, it later progresses to become one of the largest manufacturing facilities of slide rules worldwide.

The 5th Generation – Wilhelm von Faber (1852-1893)

1877-1893
Lothar von Faber's only child, Wilhelm, is actively involved in the company from 1873 and in 1877 becomes designated successor. Wilhelm, who has a more artistic disposition, loses his two sons Lothar and Alfred Wilhelm at the early ages of three and four years.

Wilhelm, who suffered greatly from the death of his sons, also dies prematurely in 1893 at the age of 42. He leaves behind a wife and 3 daughters. As a result, his father Lothar von Faber must once again manage the company until his death in 1896. His widow, Baroness Ottilie Von Faber, then inherits the “A.W. Faber” company and manages the company until the turn of the century.

In 1900 Count Alexander Graf von Faber-Castell joins the management.


The 6th Generation- Alexander Graf von Faber-Castell (1866-1928)

1900-1928
In 1898, Wilhelm von Faber's eldest daughter and eventual heiress, Baroness ottilie von Faber (1877-1944), marries Count Alexander zu Castell-Rudenhausen, who is descended from one of Germany's oldest noble families. Prior to this death, Lothar had prepared a testamentary disposition, by means of which he ensured that future generations would always have to integrate the name “Faber” into the new family name. Thus the new family line of “Count and Countess von Faber-Castell” comes into being as well as the new company name “FABER-CASTELL”.

1905
In 1905, Count Alexander launches the famous green “Castell” pencil range. The new product logo of the “Tournament of the jousting Pencil Knights” is introduced as a sign of a new high quality beating all competition. These knights are once more integral to the trademark today.

1920's
In the 20's, Count Alexander commissions the construction of new manufacturing facilities of substantial proportion at the Stein factory. The 3 story, light filled manufacturing complex becomes a modern, exemplary production facility.


The 7th Generation- Roland Count von Faber-Castell (1905-1978)

1928-1978
Following the death of Count Alexander in 1928, his son Roland takes over the company management.

1931-1932
FABER-CASTELL acquires the “Johann Faber” pencil factory and thus simultaneously an interest in its “Lapis Johann Faber” subsidiary in Sao Carlos, Brazil.

1948
The “TK” pencil, a new mechanical pencil for technical drawing, establishes itself successfully on an international scale.

1955
1955 sees the setting up of the manufacture of wood-cased pencils in Ireland, where ballpoint pens are also produced at a later stage.

1960
A sales company is once again founded in France.

1962
Foundation of the writing and drawing utensils factory in Australia, today the leading manufacturer of text markers, ballpoint pens and felt-tip pens on this continent.

1967
Faber-Castell acquires the majority interest in the lead and colored pencil factory in Sao Carlos Brazil, which today is the largest world wide.

The 8th Generation- Anton Wolfgang Count von Faber-Castell (born 1941)

Since 1978
Following the death of his father Count Roland, Anton Wolfgang Count von Faber-Castell takes over the helm at the company in 1978.

Faber-Castell sets up sales companies in Hong Kong and Malaysia.

1980
The currently world-wide largest rubber eraser factory is founded in Malaysia.
Further subsidiaries are established in South Africa and Great Britain.

1981
The FABER-CASTELL factory starts a comprehensive conifer project in Prata/South-East Brazil for the long-term self-supply of wood for the growing pencil production. The result is a world-wide unique and exemplary re afforestation project-on former pasture land 2,500 km from the rain forest.

1989
A sales company is set up in New Zealand.

1990
Faber-Castell establishes a modern lead and colored pencil factory in Indonesia which used wood exclusively from forested tree stocks.

1992
As the first company in its sector, Faber-Castell develops the environmentally friendly water-based paint technology for lead and colored pencils. The plant is inaugurated by the German Minister of Environment.

90's
The Stein and Geroldsgrun factories are modernized and restructured as state-of-the-art line production facilities. At the same time, the company embarks on a new design of the manufacturing areas, featuring a unique color concept.

1993
1993 sees the initial implementation stage of a strategic “re-alignment” for the FABER-CASTELL brand with adequate brand value and appeal. Likewise, the newly designed product range is clearly structured according to five core competence areas.

1994
Sale of minority interest in the earlier Faber-Castell Corporation, USA; along with the simultaneous re-purchase of the trademark rights which had been lost as a result of the First World War.

1997/98

Following the foundation of a distribution company in 1997 in Goa, an eraser production facility was created in 98 in Bombay.

2001
Opening of the 15th Faber-Castell production facility in Kanton, China. Here, ball-point pens, gel-ink pens, mechanical pencils, erasers and Creative Sets are assembled.

2002
FABER-CASTELL opens a new factory in Malaysia and erects the world's largest pencil (19.75m high) in the “Pencil Tower”. Boasting a 15 cm thick graphite lead, it was entered in the Guinness Book of Records.

2003
FABER-CASTELL joins the United Nations Global Compact.

2004
In cooperation with a local partner, FABER-CASTELL opens it's first European retail store in Frankfurt city.

2005
The classic green “Castell 9000” black-lead pencil celebrates its 100th anniversary.

2006
FABER-CASTELL receives the Award for Good Corporate Governance from Forum of Sustainable Economics in recognition of its exemplary ecological and social commitment.
The company marks it's 245th anniversary.
The “Alte Mine” graphite museum on the historic premises of the old pencil lead production facility in Stein is opened.